CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Monday, June 8, 2009

Weekend Trip

Our entertainment on the road


First night in the hotel, snuggling with daddy:)






For the May Long Weekend, the three of us packed up and headed to Duluth, MN, which is about 4 hours from here. It's a very beautiful city, and even though it doesn't have a huge population, the city has done an awesome job making it a great place for tourists to go. There are wonderful restaurants, great shopping, a beautiful waterfront, and a really fun downtown with lots to do!

This was the first time the 3 of us have gone on our own little 'vacation', that wasn't to visit family. We stayed in a hotel for three nights, ate out everyday, relaxed, shopped and just had so much fun! I was feeling pretty crummy for most of the trip, but I assured Lyndon that I'd much rather feel sick and be out doing stuff, than stuck in the house all weekend!

The highlight of my weekend, was seeing my friend Laura and her family! Laura and I went to Middle School and High School together overseas (and she was a bridesmaid in my wedding), and we hadn't seen each other in FOUR YEARS!!! She's had two beautiful children since then, Charlotte and Liam, and it was just SO great catching up and meeting each other's kids! We spent all of Saturday night out, just the two of us, and had a total blast! We talked for 5 hours:) Saturday morning, our families met up at the Aquarium in Duluth, it's an Aquarium with animals and fish that are found in the Great Lakes. It was a really fun morning, the kids had a blast, and Lyndon was in his glory:) He LOVES fishing, nature, water...it was great:)
Kallie and Charlotte having fun with the water.

Laura and her sweet girl Charlotte



Kallie was fascinated by this snake.
Some other highlights from the trip were:
1. Going to the zoo on Monday morning before we left. Not so exciting for adults, but Kallie loved it!
2. We went to Fitger's, which is a brewery in Duluth, that has a hotel and restaurant as well. We had a really great lunch of Pub food, and Lyndon got to try a couple of really different beers (REALLY in his glory;)

3. Lyndon went on a tour of the mansion in Duluth Sunday afternoon, it's HUGE and OLD (he'd be able to give much more detail, he'll shake his head reading this;) and he really enjoyed it. He loves history and architecture so it was perfect.4. Kallie and I came back to the hotel each day and had a lovely nap in the afternoon, while Lyndon did things Kallie (ahem, I) would have whined about;) (such as tool/fishing shopping) It was so nice to snuggle and rest:)
5. SHOPPING!!! I got all of Kallie's summer wardrobe (for such a low cost!), some maternity clothes for myself, great earrings, and Lyndon and I both got shoes. As always, Lyndon did not buy enough for himself (the shoes were it), he has such a hard time spending money on himself! We're working on it:)
6. Caribou Coffe...sigh, how I miss you! A lovely coffee shop (chain), that makes an amazing pomegranate-mango smoothie...I had 1-2 a day:)!


'Look Mom, no hands!'

Kallie with her friend the seal. This guy kept swimming straight towards her, then headed straight up the glass, flipped, swam away, and came back to do it again. It was so funny and cute, he did it at least 30 times, and Kallie was just thrilled:)

All in all, it was a great trip to just relax and spend time together, with absolutely no interruptions or work:) The trip felt like the perfect length of time, I didn't feel like it was rushing by, but we were ready to go home come Monday afternoon:) We've decided to try and make a point of doing something like that every 6 months or so, as we just felt so refreshed when we got home! Hopefully we can make it happen!

One tired little girl, ready to head home:)

7 comments:

natalie said...

oooooookkaaayyyy...
these photos have surpassed all other photos. the posing with the deer? are you kidding me?!
what a wonderful idea, we're the same way - every single day off is with family and we never take a trip alone as a family, maybe now we'll try!
Laura has absolutely beautiful children as well, that must have been crazy to introduce them!

Kelly said...

Lauren! Kallie seems to have grown leaps and bounds since your last post! She is such the little girl! She looks so old in that one where she's colouring! And I love the "Look no hands" picture - so cute.

What a nice family vacation.

Kelly

PS - see you soon!

Sharen said...

Oh what a great write up & fantastic pics of your trip & especially of my baby doll!!xoxox
love Grandma

deborah said...

Great pics! I love the last one of Kallie with her rosy cheeks! And I noticed there are none of you! ;)

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe how much of child Kallie is! She is definately not a baby, and she barely looks like a toddler in these pics! You are doing such an amazing job raising that little girl...she looks so content and engaged with the world around her. Take care!

Erica Synnott

Lauren said...

Thanks everyone!:) Erica---thanks so much for the compliments about raising her, hopefully we're doing a good job:) She certainly is a social and engaged little girl:) Deb--I know...I hate having my picture taken, something I really need to work on. Otherwise, I won't be in a single picture with my children growing up!!!:)

Lindy/Oma said...

Beautiful Pictures!
I can't believe how quickly this little one is growing up. Can hardly wait to see if baby number 2 is as much fun!