CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our Little Peanut...

is allergic to peanuts:(

About 6 weeks ago, Kallie put her peanut butter sandwich on Judah's forehead (gotta love 3 year olds:) and he got three big welts in about 2 minutes. The next day, he got some pb on his cheek from the daycare kids, and his face and neck were covered in welts in about 2 minutes again. I had a sinking feeling in my stomach, an overwhelming sadness, as I came to my own conclusion.

We were referred to a pediatritian and had allergy testing done. Result? Judah has a 'very significant allergy to peanuts'. This means that he's most likely anaphalactic and although 20% of children can outgrow a peanut allergy, the more severe the allergy, the less likely that is. Since birth Judah has had extremely senstive skin and eczema. He frequently breaks out in rashes and although it's been really great having him start solids, b/c of how sensitive he is and knowing he has 1definite allergy, it's also been very stressful.

Right now all we can do is control Judah's environment...we can't have him around any peanut products, and people cannot eat or touch peanut products and then handle/kiss him. We need to start making the drastic changes to completely de-peanut our house (meaning every product that 'may contain peanuts' or were made 'in a plant that contains peanuts' is gonzo). This includes things you'd never think of, like Bath and Body Works products and other household items. I'm so overwhelmed by it. For the most part I push it to the back of my mind, but every now and then, I let my mind jump ahead a few years, to the worry, the responsibility, and to Judah's experience...and it makes me cry. And panic.

I'm very aware that in the big picture, when I know people who have lost children and who can't have children, this is no big deal. I'm thankful, so so thankful for my beautiful boy. But right now, this is our big deal. And it feels tough.

0 comments: