CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Kallie Turned 10 months old in Winnipeg!


So, I thought I'd combine Kallie's '10 month update' and our trip to Winnipeg...mostly b/c I'm lazy:)

Anyhoo, the past month has again, gone by way too fast and also been tons of fun! Kallie actually hasn't done too many new things. There were 2 major developments,

1. She's started pulling herself up on everything, walking along furniture, moving from one thing to another (couch to table etc.) and loves when we hold her hands and she 'walks'. It's so cute, she takes really big steps on her own, whereas before I was just kind of dragging her (that sounds worse than it is:) I'm not sure when she'll start walking...I'm in no rush, but when she's ready, it'll happen.
2. She definitely knows the words mama, dada, and nana (banana). She says other things too, but those are the ones that we know she understands and attaches meaning to. When we're home, her favorite word is dada, but after being in Wpg. for a few days, she totally stopped saying it (b/c her dada wasn't around!) and then started again after we'd been home for about a day. And she LOVES bananas, as soon as I show her one, she gets very excited and says 'nana nana nana' over and over:)


Kallie still doesn't have any teeth! It's kinda crazy, she's the oldest baby I know without teeth, but supposedly the later they come in, the healthier the teeth are. Plus, I'm still nursing, so there's no rush for teeth:) She's seeming more and more like a little girl every day...it's really fun and exciting, but a little sad that the baby in her is slowly fading...it's not giving me the itch for another one yet though...maybe when she's sleeping:)

Kallie and I had a wonderful trip to Winnipeg. We of course missed Lyndon a lot, hopefully he'll be coming on the next one. And this was actually our last trip for awhile. I'm starting home daycare (today actually) and so my days of flying to Wpg on a whim are gone. It's going to be hard, all my best friends and family are in Winnipeg, and I miss them so much. But the more I think about it, the more it seems that it might be good to stay put for awhile. I still haven't made any really close friends in Tbay...I think partly because I still feel like half my life is in Winnipeg, and so, fully committing, and realizing....I am from Thunder Bay (oh my goodness, it's true!) will help me to form stronger relationships here. Lyndon and I are looking for a church family here...please pray that we'll find the right fit.

We had an awesome time in Winnipeg! It was definitely our best trip yet:) Now that Kallie is older, I was able to leave her with my parents without problems or worry (yay for nights out!), and I was just really relaxed and enjoyed all parts of it. We went to Steinbach and got to visit with different friends, we spent time with Mandi and Ethan which was lots of fun, and I did lots of visiting in the city too. My parents built a new house this past winter and it was my first time being there since it's been finished...it's such a gorgeous house! I had such an amazing time just hanging out there with my mom, dad and sister. Dana turned 20 the day we left, and so we had a family birthday dinner at Wasabi...the Sushi was wonderful, and it was just a great night out all together .



Anyways, I was very sad to leave...I miss everyone in Wpg. so much, but I'm so happy to be home too. We get possession of our house April 1st, which is coming up VERY quickly, so we're really excited (and a little nervous:) for that!! I'll be posting pics as we start renovating:)

The other fun thing Kallie has started to do is dance whenever she hears music, singing, or even clapping. Her 'dancing' is rocking back and forth...it's pretty funny, she kind of gets frozen and almost looks like she's doing the robot! My sister and I got quite a kick out of videotaping this:)

5 comments:

natalie said...

haha i love her so much!
i love how she picked up tempo when the faster song came on and was just concentrating so hard...and you're totally right (and had me laughing out loud) she was completely doing the robot.

i know what you mean about solidifying new friends in a new place. i've found that joining prenatal aquafit (although CHEEZY) has done wonders in terms of slowly starting to meet women in the same situation, then getting to know the ones you get along with enough to start to hang out on other occasions. definitely takes awhile. we're also in the mental space of "maybe we'll move....who knows" so yes, it's totally about realizing that it's worth the effort now, since you're here now for however long anyways! maybe 'baby & me' playgroups or local mom coffees would be of use. usually there's one quirky younger one or two that you'll hit it off with - best of luck. (let the military brat power guide you - if there's anything we're good at, it's making new friends).

in terms of the new church, are you guys looking crc? do you have much of a choice in your area? we ended up choosing an anglican church mainly due to the priest & the views of the congregation, rather than the denomination (as i find happens often, which is unfortunate). christian is christian though, so hopefully you'll be able to find one right for your family (also a great way to make new friends & support teams).

hugs from ottawa - take care
natalie (& the little one)

Anonymous said...

Lauren, she is so happy and content looking! You must be doing such a great job for her to have the confidence and level of comfort that she does. After working with kids for a few months, it really is easy to tell which kids come from a really solid place.

It's funny you mentioned her teeth because one of the moms here was talking about her kids' teeth today. I guess the older one had no teeth at one, but could walk all over, and the younger one has tons of teeth, but can't walk. In the end it all evens out - and as you said - if you're nursing the no teeth thing is probably not such a bad thing right now.

And I find it pretty funny that all three of us military brats are coming to the same realization about making adult friends in new-ish cities. I've been in the Trenton area for 9 months, but I've always felt I'm a phone call away from joining the military and leaving, so I didn't worry about making solid connections with people at first. It's just now that I'm starting to make those coffee dates with people and meet up with people outside of work or volunteering. Like you don't already know this from eight-hundred-and-twelve moves, my only advice is to just keep doing what you enjoy and hopefully you'll be able to make some connections through that.

Good luck with the new churches!

Erica Synnott

Lauren said...

Thanks girls:) yes, it is quite ironic...you'd think I'd be better at this by now:) I'm actually really excited to start making more of an effort and building stronger friendships here.:) I'll keep you updated...and you do the same:)!

Erica H said...

Lauren, I can totally understand your dilemma on making Tbay 'your home'. I feel the same way about Blind River. Its so hard for me to make really close friendships because I know I haven't got any history with the women I'm meeting here. My friends in Manitoba have seen me in my college years, saw me get married, we were pregnant together, etc...but I have come to realize I need to make a NEW history with the gals I've been getting to know here. I will pray for you...it'll probably help once you get into "your" house and you begin to feel like you've set roots in Tbay, you know? AND once you find a church it may help in finding some young mom's to befriend.

Kallie is just SO SWEET! I laughed SO hard watching that dance video...TOO FUNNY! Aren't kids just so much fun? Makes you wonder what made us so happy before they came along... ;O)

Unknown said...

Ok, I've seen that video before, but I was laughing out loud, I just can't get over how hilarious she looks because nothing on her body moves other than the back and forth motion. She reminds me of one of those dancing santa clauses!

I really pray you'll find some close friends too. It took me quite a while to find girls here that I really connected with, and as you know, it was through a mom's group. You're taking the right steps, it's just a matter of growing the relationships you're already making.

K, we need to talk on the phone, it's been like....4 days???